Glossaries and Term Banks
Understanding and translating Finnish words
Terms used in taxation, legal texts or technical contexts have often quite specific meaning. In order to undertand things correctly you need to undestand the correct meaning of words in that specific context.
If you are translating from one language to another, you should be aware that words of different languages do not correspond each other precisely. For example Finnish word palkkio can and should be translated differently according to the context and the specific meaning of palkkio in that context.
I have collected here links to glossaries and term banks provided by Finnish government and Finnish organisations. There you can find definitions of terms in Finnish and other languages and translations between different languages. In addition there are some interesting links outside of Finland.
- Translation and language services of the Prime Minister’s Office
- The Finnish Terminology Centre TSK
- The Finnish Parliamentary Glossary
- Subject headings of the Library of Parliament
- Pension Glossary
- Incomes Register glossary
- Verosanasto / Skatteordlista / Taxation Glossary / Steuerglossar / Vocabulaire de la Fiscalité
- Legal Terms, Finnish-Swedish-English
- Financial Markets Glossary, Finnish-Swedish-English
- Glossary of Court Terms, Finnish-Swedish-English-German-French
- IATE, Interactive Terminology for Europe (European Union)
- Tilastokeskus / Statistikcentralen / Statistics Finland
- Käsitteet suomeksi (concepts in Finnish)
- Begrepp på svenska (concepts in Swedish)
- Concepts in English
- Luokitukset suomeksi (classifications in Finnish)
- Klassificeringar på svenska (classifications in Swedish)
- Classifications in English
- Toimialaluokitus suomeksi (standard industrial classification in Finnish)
- Näringsgrensdelningen på svenska (standard industrial classification in Swedish)
- Standard Industrial Classification in English
- Pörssisäätiö / Osakesäästämisen ja sijoittamisen sanasto (in Finnish)
- Nordea Bank / Trade Finance Glossary
- Rikstermbanken – Sweden’s national term bank
- Svenska datatermgruppen – Joint Group for Swedish Computer Terminology
This article was written by Johanna Sirkiä, accountant, business advisor and the owner of Relipe Ltd.